Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority

You could be able to claim compensation if you were the victim of a violent crime. Claim compensation if you were the victim of a violent crime: Overview - GOV.UK (

This includes if:

  • You were injured
  • A close relative died
  • You saw the crime happen to a loved one (or were there immediately afterwards)
  • You paid for the funeral of a person who died

You usually have to claim within 2 years of the crime. The crime must be reported to the police before you apply.

Victims of serious crime abroad, or terrorist incidents may also be entitled to compensation.

Staff within the Victim and Witness Hub can help to support you in your application.

Hardship Fund - Get financial support as a victim of crime

You can apply for financial help if you have to take time off low-paid work because you have been the victim of a violent crime.

The fund has an eligibility criteria which means you need to have reported your injuries to the police within 48 hours and your application to CICA needs to be submitted within 8 weeks of the crime.

Further details on how to apply can be found here.